Saturday, September 14, 2013

Weekly REST-up

I figured I should call it what it was!  LOL.  This week was all about resting and healing.  I'm tired of this injury and I felt like I just kept pushing myself and not really healing completely. Biking even seems to make it tighten up and get inflamed, so, I rested.  A LOT.  There may have even been beer involved.  ;)



It actually wasn't as good as it looks.  Rey brought it home for me and I was pretty excited to try it, but it wasn't as pumpkin-y as I had hoped.  Rey came home on Tuesday, so this made my week of rest really enjoyable and easier to tolerate!  <3



Backing it up a bit, I did workout on Monday, I did some machine work, showing off my new shoe trend.  It's all the rage, ya know, wearing one flip-flop and one shoe.  I also used the bike for a bit.




The verdict is out on whether this was aggravating the injury, so I decided to just completely rest the remainder of the week. It may actually be my minimalist shoe (AND that would include using a flip flop) that is causing too much strain on my achilles.  Wah!  I love my shoes!

Since I wasn't going to be burning any calories working out, I wanted to get back to what makes me feel best, tracking my calories.   I got back to logging everything on MyFitnessPal.  I've been logging for over a year, but for a while now I slack off and by the end of the day.  This week I started logging morning to night again and feel much better. A little more vigilance on my part never hurts. It's also much easier to stay in my calories when I'm not running, I don't have my huge runner's appetite.


All in all, this week went fairly well for not running at all.  We finally got some fall weather and had lots of family time. 

 Monday is a big day.  It will be 5 weeks since the heel bursitis/achilles issue started and the day I have decided to try my running shoe on and attempting a run.  It may or may not be a run with the heel cut out of my shoes.  LOL.   It will also be my 100th blog post.  Nope, no pressure there!  

I am trying to prepare myself for the idea that I might not be able to run and that I might have to rest even more.  It's my own fault for continuing to try and run and not completely rest so I could get better, but I have to learn from that and not push myself to where I continue this cycle.  I feel like had I rested completely from the beginning, it might not have taken this long.  

In any case, Monday will bring my 100th blog post,  whether I'm running or not! Hope everyone is having a fantastic weekend!

10 comments:

  1. Yay!!! Congratulations on the 100th post! I'm very proud of you for resting and I'm so happy Rey came home and was able to take your mind off of the injury. Family time is always the best. :)

    Keeping track of calories is what I need to do, but I'm not so good at it yet. I should do it though. Thank you for reminding me :)

    Wishing you luck on Monday and thinking good thoughts for you!! <3 <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meg!!! <3 It was hard, but once I let go and focused on other stuff I got over it. I REALLY want to get better so I can train for PHM, so I have to do what I have to do. :)

      Delete
  2. Good for you for resting this week! Hopefully it pays off on Monday when you try to run :D Congratulations on the 100th post and I hope that you enjoyed your time with Rey!

    I'm not very good about tracking my calories...especially on off days or drinking days :/ I'm not quite sure I eat enough though. I just eat whenever I'm hungry and if that goes over prescribed calories, then so be it. I try to do my best though and not eat too often over calories. Just when my body needs it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's MUCH easier for me to eat less calories when not running. When I run, I am SO hungry, all the time! I'm not sure how to deal with that when training gets into longer and longer runs, but hopefully I won't gain weight! LOL

      Delete
  3. Congrats on your 100th post coming up! I really hope your foot cooperates for your run. I can only imagine how you've felt these past 5 weeks. :/ I used to use myFitness Pal to track my eating, but I was never very good at it. Probably why I never had any success with losing weight with it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim! I'm pretty good at it most of the time b/c I eat all the same things and they are saved and I can just click to add them. I'm thinking I'll be able to run Monday and I'm pretty excited!

      Delete
  4. I am hoping you are able to get your run in without that foot acting up! Awesome idea to refocus on the food tracking while you're sidelined. I ran today and my achilles felt ok, but I won't know if I really aggravated it until tomorrow morning because that's when it hurts the worst. Good luck tomorrow and congratulations on your 100th post! :) I'm so glad that our blogs let us get to know each other as virtual running buddies...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. April, are you wearing minimal shoes? I'm asking b/c I'm running into a LOT of people with similar achilles and achilles bursitis that got it after transitioning to minimal shoes. I didn't think after running in mine for 6 months it could happen, but I am thinking it is definitely related. I bought some heel cushions to add a little height to my heels for now, but I may be switching back to regular drop trainers soon.

      Delete
    2. No, I'm in ASICS Nimbus 14s which has a 13.1 mm drop from heel to front which I think is pretty big actually. I've had problems with my right side for over a year, it started in the front of my hip/pelvis (I think from pelvic instability from being pregnant with my youngest, I had to have PT while pregnant from it!). I ran through that and it eventually went away but I think it changed my gait and ever since, I've had tweaky problems all down the back of my leg, starting with my glute and it just eventually made its way down to my achilles. I need to commit to stretching, strengthening and foam rolling on a regular basis. It did show up after my first (and only!) back to back runs (I usually don't run on consecutive days). My run went pretty well yesterday, (9.5 miles) and my foot/heel feels ok so maybe it's on its way to recovery! Good luck to you and get yourself some big clunky shoes :)

      Delete
  5. Praying for you that your foot heals very soon Karen! I know how frustrating that must be to not be able to do what you love.

    On another note, I am very jealous y'all are getting fall weather already. I can't wait for it to show up here! I love fall beers as well, and that photo definitely makes me want to go drink one after work today! :)

    ReplyDelete